Maybe it has something to do with the enticing Brazilian setting – those sugary sand beaches, jungle-clad hills (oh, and the equally easy-on-the-eyes players) – but our fever for ‘the beautiful game’ is at an all-time high for these World Cup games. Despite the fact that some of our most beloved teams have been knocked out already, you’ll still find us not-so-secretly watching on the job and shouting at the telly until the final game.
To satisfy our appetite for all things football, we’re keeping up with our reading, too. With that, here are a few of our favourite finds from around the web….
- Commentators around the globe bring their own flair to calling a goal. The New York Times compiled audio bits of some of the most colourful announcers and their signature battle cries.
- ‘Beautiful, Terrible, Funny’ – this segment of the BBC’s Match of the Day round-up brings together daily highlights of the best, most dramatic and silliest footie moments.
- Even if you don’t care much about football, we know that you, like us, have an appreciation for good style. Hazlitt‘s satirical rundown of uniforms is your definitive guide.
- Need a soundtrack to keep your energy up for the remainder of the games? Here are two playlists to pump you up, one from Conde Nast Traveler and one by DJ Monk-One.
- Spoiler alert: for those who wait to watch, we can relate to this Hyundai commercial.
If that’s not enough to keep you entertained you between matches, you can find more links here. And, if all those beauty shots of steamy Rio, the remote beaches and tropical terrain beyond have sparked your wanderlust, now is a brilliant time to start planning your South American escape to a Mr & Mrs Smith Brazilian boutique hotel, of course.